Saturday, November 1, 2014

# review

DOHA REVIEW: AL AHLI DAY 6 OF ADMISSION

It was hard getting a good night sleep, I keep waking up-whenever my back hurt. They had given me a self-medicated medication. I don't remember what medicine it was but whenever I felt pain I could press on the button and feel the cool numbing liquid going to my blood stream. I didn't want to get carried away so I regulated the usage-only when I needed to reposition myself on the bed.

Then the morning came. I knew I would be taken off my self-regulated meds and made to walk about in the room. My husband somehow manage to wake up and show up early. The nurse helped to take out the urine bag, my IV drips and she and my husband both helped me to stand up. Let me just tell you that the pain was excruciating. I felt a deep burning sensation on my lower abdomen where the incison was and I felt like everything was going to fall apart and fall to the floor. With the nurse's help I managed to walk to the bathroom where I took a long luxurious shower and washed my hair. It was hard taking the first few steps but I was encouraged to walk to avoid blood clots. I hated the hospital bed provided by Al Ahli in the Labor and Delivery ward. Even after adjusting the lever the bed was still high for my to climb on and I wished they had provided a lower bed. I mentioned this to the doctors and nurses

At 9am, Dr Sujatha came in to see how I was doing, gave me an quick hug and then went off to her rounds. I later found out that the doctors have a morning meeting that goes on until 9 am and they make their rounds to their warded patients before starting their clinical/surgery hours

I took small steps and walked about in the room but I was still fatigued so I went back to bed. I probably walked about 3-4 times today. In the evening my husband came by and helped me to the bathroom where I took another luxurious shower. I still couldn't bend so much but I managed to shave my legs. Yes. I. Shaved. My. Legs. Both of them. I got most of the blood out too. I was wearing hospital issued granny pads and disposible undies which were huge and bukly but they were great. They absorbed my bleeding better than my own pads. One word of advise ladies is to use Al Ahli's gowns. Don't bother wearing your clothes because you will have to wash them later. And the blood can get everywhere on your clothes

This morning I was also told by the NICU doctor that my baby was to be kept for 24 hours because his breathing is irrregular and it's border line so they want to monitor him. I was sad so when my husband came that was the first news I broke to him

I told my nurse in charge to bring my baby in whenever he is released from NICU so I can nurse him. I had pinched my breast earlier and I had some colostrum. Any amount of colostrum is good for him so I wanted to be sure he was going to get some. It took him some time to latch on and I was frustated at not being able to feed him right away. I felt guilty. So for those C-section mothers, here ae my advises for you


  • milk don't come in right away for C-section moms like it does for babies born vaginally.

  • prepare yourself with a a good quality breast pump before you admit yourself. This is my biggest regret something I will never forgive myself. My mom was optimistic saying that my mik will come in but it took a very long time and the baby was fidgeting trying to latch and suck

  • i know this bit of advise will sound stupid to you but before you are due to deliver, express and keep the milk in the fridge

  • after your medication wears off/when you wake up, express whatever milk you can because it has colostrum and you want to be sure he is getting it. He only needs to get about a spoonful this honey-pot/gold because at birth they only take about 30 ml of liquid at a feed
  • make sure you have a formula ready for your baby in case your milk takes time to come in

No comments:

Post a Comment