Monday, June 17, 2013

# Generic32 # How To Get Rid of Patched.A

Virus Vault: How To Get Rid of Patched.A, luhe.sirefef.a, Generic32.cmu

Be warned people, the blogs listed below emits viruses and back doors from the torrents they uploaded.


And this is the website that infected my laptop


The shit comes conveniently packaged in a form of a codec/player installer file, along with the avi in the torrent file and desperate as I was to watch un-released movies I downloaded it and after running the exe file it affected my Dell laptop running on Win 7 Home Edition. I am not going to go into detail what these viruses and Trojans does to your PC, do a Google or Wikipedia search instead. But what I can tell you is what happened to my laptop when it got infected

Symptoms:
laptop reboot time was significantly slower
black screen that lasts up to 5 minutes after each reboot
McAfee goes beserk with "reboot now" and "reboot later" options
AVG free detected the 3 viruses/trojans every time you browse the web, open a new tab & a new web window

Solution A:

1. Enable system files and folder viewing using the "Folder Options"
2. Try to find the viruses in Registry (but my Dell failed to get a decent hit with the "Find" and Find Next" options)
3. Fix your services.exe file (Start/Windows Icon--cmd--sfc/scannow)
3.1 If step 3 requires to run cmd as administrator then use the Ctrl+Shift+Enter
3.2 What does the command in 3 means:
The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

For reasons not yet investigated my scan stops at 60% so if that happens to you, then you should run the verify command : sfc/verifyonly


If solution A worked for you, then reboot once you have completed step 3 and run AV scan (Malware AV Scan, Spybot, TDSkiller, etc). If it didn't then proceed to solution B (worked in my case)

Solution B:

1. Download, unRAR and install Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/ Perform a database update before you run the first scan


2. Turn off your internet and unplug your internet cables then run the anti-rootkit application. This will take some time, and it may appear to "hang" while scanning some large system32 files but just bear with it



3. Remove and repair all infected files


4. Reboot your laptop/PC

Note: This fix worked for me, but depending on your Windows OS version and configuration it may/may not work for you. I'm not a Windows guru but drop me a comment and I will help you out

No comments:

Post a Comment